How To: Fishtail Side Braid, The Perfect Style for Spring
Haute Hippies, Mary Kate Olsen and Nicole Richie have been seen donning side braids for the past few years. But the do’, a cute look on them, just never seemed to translate to those outside of the boho realm. That was until Alexander Wang gave models the same hairstyle for his S/S 2010 runway show.
The juxtaposition of the loose look paired with chic athletic gear made long-haired fashionistas take notice. A gal can only straighten and curl her hair so many times. Adding a twist to the classic style, a new class of celeb braiders have been spotted wearing the more intricate fishtail variety. A spin that takes you from from daytime casual to nighttime cool.
Achieve the look in 5 simple steps:
1. Pull your hair into a tight side ponytail. Separate the hair into two equal pieces.
2. Take a thin piece from the underside of the right strand and join it with the left strand.
3. You will be back to 2 equal pieces like you were in step 1.
4. Take a thin piece from the underside of the left strand and join it with the right strand.
5. Again, you will be back to 2 equal pieces like you were in step 1. Repeat steps 2 and 4 until you reach the end of your hair. Finish with an elastic. Carefully slide the the first hair tie from step 1 off.