Itâ€™s usually around this time of year that always has me questioning, â€œWhy do I live in Chicago again?â€ But I read somewhere that Chicagoansâ€™ relationship with their city is like that of Ike and Tina – six months out of the year itâ€™s beautiful and harmonious and the other six months you spend telling your friends that they â€œjust donâ€™t understand him the way you do.â€ But happy days are on the way! Winter is almost officially over (March 20th is the start of spring) and if the dry, itchy skin and cracked-open knuckles are killing you half as much as theyâ€™re killing me, follow these tips to begin to restore your body:
1. Hair: Try an oil, like Moroccanoil Restorative Hair Mask($32), or a mask to bring some life back into your wind-blown tresses.
2. Skin:Â Lâ€™Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream($10) gets great marks for restoring cracked hands while the list of good daily body lotions is endless. For extremely flaky skin, try Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Lotion($8).
3. Face: Stick with home ingredients to make gentle treatments for your skin.
Here are two easy recipes
1. Mash up and avocado – full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants – with a drizzle of olive oil and spread it onto your face for 15 minutes.
2. Mix equal parts raw oatmeal (very soothing), egg yolk and honey. Leave it on for 20 minutes.
4. Lips: If your lips are really bothering you, get rid of your petroleum based lip chap and opt for something natural that will let your lips breathe, like Burt’s Bees Lifeguard’s Choice Lip Balm($2), which is made specifically for sun and snow.